Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Motorcycling Pleasure



To this day, I remember my very first motorcycle: I was 9 years old and my father had a friend who was selling a Honda 90cc. I wanted it so bad. My father said he would get it for me if I would only ride in the backyard.  I knew how to ride a bicycle but a motorcycle was a whole new kettle of fish.  Shifting, throttling and the weight were something new. So I asked my stepmother to help me learn.  Before long I was riding like it was an extension of my right hand.  I had motorcycles off and on through the end of high school. After that I did not ride a motorcycle for 20 years.

Fast-forward to a month ago, I got a brand-new Harley Davidson Road King classic 2012. Wow!!  I always loved motorcycle riding and now I could ride a Harley-Davidson whenever I wanted – of course the weather permitting given that I live in Chicago!!! With the Harley I was definitely taking it up a notch.  It is a beautiful bike. It seems to me everyone who I introduce my bike to gets this inspired look in their eyes.  I totally get it… when riding my motorcycle I am reconnected and present in the moment: the experience of leaning into a curve, the wind in my face, and the road ahead.  It feels like a meditation of sorts, a total sense of freedom!   Sometimes at stoplights, I find myself talking to people in cars with the windows down. Rarely an opportunity I would have driving in my car.   

In short, when riding my motorcycle I feel free, inspired and present in the now. And many who see me riding are reminded of a sense of inspiration and joy … hallelujah!  Metaphorically speaking, I’d say find YOUR motorcycle – whatever that may be for you – and ride it!!

3 comments:

Love Later said...

I loved this - imagine that! a young guy like you with a motorcycle in our back yard, and imagine even further, me helping you learn how to ride it. I'm glad you're loving it. My understanding from men I've known there is nothing like it, the freedom, just so much fun. I'm glad for you. I bit different from the first one! What fun! and what a great story. I loved thinking about it and remembering some really good times. Love, your step mother, Pat

Milton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Milton said...

AMEN!!! Being your brother I still remember our motorcycle stories...-) too many to mention... But my earliest one that comes to mind Is when riding the mini bike in the back yard and letting my friend ride it where u had to come to the rescue. Thank goodness you were there to save him and you learned to ride before the rest of us to show us the way... :-)

Fast forward 4 motorcycles later... Recently taking a racing course the instructor said something that hit home for me... "there are very few things in life that require 100% of your attention while doing it and motorcycling is one of those things". To your point when I am ridding I'm not thinking about my next meeting, the phone call I need to make, the conversation I need to have or just had... I am completely focused on one thing... The ride. Truly in the moment, focused with no little always on voice in my head...

Congratulations on the new bike... "Stay safe and enjoy the ride my brother"...